College of Charleston Temporary FT Maintenance Craftsman - Re-announcement (3 vacancies)* in Charleston, South Carolina
Internal Title Temporary FT Maintenance Craftsman - Re-announcement (3 vacancies)*
Department Res Life-Maintenance
A high school diploma and four (4) years of professional trade experience in housing/apartment building maintenance including carpentry, sheetrock repair/finishing, painting, plumbing and inspection services. An Associate’s Degree in Building or Industrial Maintenance is preferred. Basic computer skills and experience with e-mail and on-line work order systems preferred. Candidates with an equivalent combination of experience and/or education are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Requires broad knowledge and ability to perform a variety of maintenance repairs and activities including: ELECTRICAL – Basic electrical maintenance and repair, including replacement of receptacles, switches, light fixtures & bulbs/lamps. PLUMBING – Basic plumbing maintenance and repair, including maintenance, repair, and replacement of faucets, sinks, drains, toilets, tubs, water heaters and water service/drain lines. Also includes unplugging drain systems, repairing leaks and installing new valves and washers. Assists journeyman plumbers in the installation and remodeling of plumbing systems. CARPENTRY: Basic carpentry including maintenance, repair and replacement of doors, windows, trim, and cabinets/drawers and associated hardware. SHEETROCK & PAINTING – Basic maintenance, repair, and replacement of damaged sheetrock as well as finishing and painting to acceptable standards. HVAC – Basic HVAC maintenance to include replacement of filters. Must be able to anticipate, locate and correct general and emergency problems as related to building maintenance and repair as well as follow oral and written instructions. Requires knowledge of safety practices/OSHA requirements and applicable local, state and national building codes. Must have knowledge and skill in the use of tools, equipment, materials and supplies related to building repair and specifications and have ability to comprehend blueprints and specifications. Must have a valid SC Driver’s License.
Additional Comments Regarding Position
Must be able to perform manual labor and work outside in inclement weather. Must be able to work in close hot/cold quarters, climb ladders/stairs and lift or move furniture, objects and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Some overtime work will be required as well as rotating on-call evening/night work. Must be able to properly react in emergencies and make appropriate decisions under pressure. Must have the ability to multi-task and assess/plan work from start to finish. May be required to be on campus prior to and immediately following emergencies such as hurricanes, floods, etc.
Special Instructions to Applicants
*The candidate filling this position may be eligible for healthcare benefits.
**Pay rate is commensurate with education/experience which exceeds the minimum requirements.
Offers of employment are contingent upon a successful background check.
All applications must be submitted online https://jobs.cofc.edu.
Hours Per Week 40
Pay Rate **$12.00/hour - $15.00/hour
Posting Date 06/08/2018
Closing Date 09/17/2018
Open Until Filled No
Posting Number T17017
Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.cofc.edu/postings/6169
- Performs a variety of maintenance and repair duties related to work orders or projects for assigned College dormitories and historical homes. Responds to assigned work orders within 24 hours of receipt and ensures timely completion. Replaces electrical receptacles, switches, light fixtures & bulbs. Repairs and replaces plumbing equipment and systems, including faucets, sinks, drains, toilets, tubs, water heaters and water service/drain lines. Unplugs drain systems, repairs leaks, and installs new valves and washers. Assists journeyman plumbers with installing and remodeling plumbing systems. Performs carpentry maintenance, including replacing doors, windows, trim, cabinets/drawers and associated hardware. Works with sheetrock and painting upkeep, including replacing/repairing damaged sheetrock, finishing and painting to acceptable standards. Replaces HVAC filters in accordance with schedule.
Essential or Marginal Essential
Percent of Time 60%
- Performs daily interior/exterior inspection of assigned territory, documenting all needs for repairs and preventive maintenance. Places trade specific work orders to Physical Plant shops when necessary and works with shop personnel to ensure that work orders are completed in a timely, safe, & efficient manner. Works closely with HVAC Shop personnel to ensure that work orders are completed in a timely manner or secondary equipment (spot coolers, space heaters, etc.) are placed in assigned residence hall as needed to maintain comfortable temperatures until appropriate actions can be taken and repairs completed. Ensures HVAC filters are replaced in accordance with preventive maintenance schedule. Responsible for ensuring that furniture, floors, walls, & surrounding work area is protected from dust & debris while work is being performed. Also responsible for ensuring that all jobsites are thoroughly cleaned when work has been completed.
Essential or Marginal Essential
Percent of Time 30%
- Maintains an accurate inventory of repair parts, appliances, supplies and other equipment as necessary to perform timely building repairs in assigned area. Generates material list of supplies that need to be kept in stock for efficient and effective response to building maintenance and repair work orders. Makes recommendations of supplies and materials that need to be kept in stock and places orders with supervisor when appropriate.
Essential or Marginal Essential
Percent of Time 10%
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Post and Courier
- Word of mouth
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Job fair
- Hiring Our Heroes (linkedIn)
- SC Works (SC Department of Employment and Workforce)
- Cover Letter / Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3